Eat low on the food chain (because it's better for our environment!) with protein and fibre-loaded chickpeas! This recipe utilises fruit and veges that are readily available in the summertime (because seasonal is also better for our environment AND our health) and will energise and nourish you with its plentitude of wholeness and lack of modification (also good for our environment and health; see a trend here?!?!). Bien manger!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups basmati rice (1 cup rice: 1.5 cup water works for me)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, finely diced
- 2cm cube of fresh garlic, finely diced
- 1x 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large carrot
- 2 medium courgettes
- 2 tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 apricots, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 6 radishes, julienned
- fresh parsley, chopped
- sesame seeds
- handful of walnuts, crushed
Spice Mix Ingredients
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp crushed black peppercorns
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mild-medium paprika
- Put the basmati rice & water in a pot and cook, covered, on a low-medium heat for around 15 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat olive oil in a large, non-stick fry pan and add onion, garlic and ginger, keeping things at a medium heat.
- Once the onion has begun to become translucent, add the chickpeas, carrot, courgette, apricots and tomatoes. Also add the half a cup of water and spice mix.
- Mix, cover, and let it cook on a medium heat for 12 minutes, or until the vegetables have notably softened to your preference.
- Remove from heat and plate the rice and medley. Top with the radish, parsley, walnuts and sesame seeds. Drizzle with sesame oil and serve.