Food waste solution: bits & bobs salad
I think that salad is the ultimate food representative of flow (and I like flow). Salad is not like bread (I like bread, too), where quantity and method are vital. Salad, rather, can be made out of any quantity of things, and out of virtually any stray off-cut being tossed around your fridge.
This salad is just that. Bits and pieces from my fridge - leftovers from other things I've made (I'm learning how to cook French cuisine - mostly unfussy things that you'd find in a family home. Thus far it's my most significant foray into the Gallic culture!).
Below I've listed the ingredients that are in this salad. In brackets are other options. These other options might already be in your fridge! Don't you think using them up is way better than rushing out to the shop? Waste less, spend less. Care more, innovate more. We really could.
Flavour wise, some combinations mightn't work (I'm not game for soy sauce + yogurt + orange slices, for example), but who knows - you might be pleasantly surprised!
To swap and change to suit the contents of your fridge and pantry!
- lettuce (arugula, spinach, kale, mache, endives, cabbage, chard, bok choy, beet greens, cresses)
- mint (parsley, basil, dill, coriander, chives)
- parsley (see point above)
- apple (pear, tomato, pomegranate, orange slices, cranberries, apricot, mango)
- carrot (pumpkin, cucumber, celery, avocado, bell peppers, corn)
- red radish (fennel, nori, raw onion, broccoli, bean sprouts, green beans)
- walnuts (almonds, hazelnuts, sesame seeds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, macadamia, dried coconut chunks, croutons)
- (other hearty additions include chickpeas, rice, lentils, eggs, soya beans, pasta, cooked potato)
- (any bits of cheese you might want to use up - cube soft cheeses and grate the harder stuff)
- extra virgin olive oil (walnut oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, hazelnut oil, yogurt, mayonnaise)
- mustard seeds (pesto, sesame seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, grated ginger, honey)
- balsamic vinegar (lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice, rice wine vinegar, regular vinegar, apple cider vinegar, wine, sherry, champagne!)
- sea salt (soy sauce, any salt)